Montgomery is the capital city of Alabama and a stop worth adding to your USA itinerary. From art to baseball and everything in between, Montgomery is guaranteed to provide you with a memorable vacation experience.
Why should I visit Montgomery, Alabama?
With so many reasons to visit Montgomery, it would be easier to think of reasons why you should not! The city boasts a strong cultural scene, rich history, and heaps of opportunities for entertainment. Sports fans will appreciate the city’s dedication to their baseball team, the Biscuits, while art lovers are sure to enjoy the many galleries around town. A visit to Montgomery can also be very enlightening as the city has many major moments in relation to the Civil Rights Movement. Whether you want to eat great food, learn about the local history, or simply relax, Montgomery is a great place for a getaway.
How can I get ready for my trip to Montgomery, Alabama?
Preparing for a trip can be stressful so we are here to help! We want you to have the best possible time in Montgomery so that means ensuring everything goes smoothly. Nothing ruins a vacation more effectively than missed flights or incorrect bookings, right?
The good news is that Montgomery is a pretty easy place to travel to, especially if you live in the USA. Apart from booking your accommodation and creating your list of must-see attractions, there is not a whole lot you need to do. Of course, you need to pack your clothes and organise transport (probably a plane or road trip depending on where you live), but on the whole it makes for a relatively stress-free vacation.
On the other hand, international travellers might need to put a little extra thought into their trip preparations. You will need to consider long haul flights and time zones, as well as banks cards and currency exchange so you do not get stuck without cash in a foreign country. Most importantly, you will need to be up to date with the latest border control requirements do you actually get into the USA.
For many travellers, all you will need is your passport and an approved ESTA Visa Form. An ESTA is different to a normal visa and can be obtained online. Only residents of countries that are a part of the Visa Waiver Program are able apply for an ESTA. Everyone else will need to apply for a standard visa and meet whatever requirements are outlined by USA’s border control. Always do thorough research before your trip so that you understand what entry requirements apply to you.
While the ESTA process is simple to navigate, it is strongly recommended that you apply for one a few weeks before your trip to avoid any issues. You can monitor your ESTA application status via the online portal and will be notified once it is approved. Make sure you have a copy of this with you as you pass through border security, as they will still need to check your passport and ask you a few questions.
What are things to do in Montgomery, Alabama?
So now that you have decided on a trip to Montgomery, Alabama, how are you going to fill your days? What are the must-see attractions activities to do when in town? Well, we have got some ideas! Here are some of things you can do in Montgomery to ensure you have an excellent vacation.
Montgomery, Alabama Attractions
- Civil Rights Museum – This museum has a range of informative exhibits so you can learn all about the civil rights movement and the role Montgomery has played over the years.
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts – Admire the beautiful art on displays. The museum is home to various pieces from the 18th to the 21st century.
- Montgomery Zoo – The Montgomery Zoo is home to a diverse range of animal species that you can see up close. Great activity for the whole family.
Things to do on the riverfront in Montgomery, Al.
- Riverwalk – A stroll along the picturesque Riverwalk is one of the must-do activities in Montgomery. It is a great way to get fresh air and enjoy the sights.
- Boat Tour – See Montgomery from a different perspective with a boat cruise down the river. There are a few different providers so do your research to find something that suits your desires and budget.
- Riverfront Park – The perfect spot for a picnic on a nice day, so grab your blanket and some food and make yourself comfortable!
Children’s Museum Montgomery, Al.
- The Mooseum – Looking for an activity to entertain the kids? Head to The Mooseum. It is an informative children’s museum designed to educate young ones on Alabama’s heritage and cattle farming. With plenty of model cows and a hands-on playroom, the kids are guaranteed to love it!
- Museum of Alabama – Another good museum option for the whole family is the Museum of Alabama. It is free, has many interesting exhibits on Alabama’s history and a playroom for kids to enjoy an interactive, yet educational, experience.