As some of you may know, I used to be a professional fantasy football journalist. My writing today is strictly limited to personal finance, but I do still play fantasy football.
At least I did play fantasy football until last night when I was eliminated from playoff contention!
You may be thinking, “Who cares? It’s a dumb game.” The entry fee is $225 and the total prize money comes to about $2,500.
If Peyton Manning had thrown one more touchdown pass last weekend, I would have won$225 (to essentially break even) and had an opportunity to win up to $1,400 more if I won the Super Bowl.
Instead, I am out over $200 and am just another disgruntled football fan.
Now I’m at a crossroads: Should I play fantasy football again next year?
Back when I was writing, I used to play in as many as 10 different leagues in one year. That was overwhelming (obnoxious is probably a better word) so I cut it down to two this year and still feel like I don’t have time to effectively manage my teams. I am actually doing well in my other league, but the prize is so much smaller that I don’t worry about that one as much. I could win that one and end up making all my money back and turn a profit for this year.
I’m thinking about quitting the expensive league, and here are the pros and cons:
- I have been playing for 10 years and it’s a good way to bond with my uncle, step-dad, step-brother and all the other dudes in the league
- Over the past 10 years, I’ve won the championship twice and have won other prizes, so overall I’ve won at least $500 more than I’ve lost
- Even though I don’t follow stuff as closely as I used to, I still probably know more about football and the players than most of my competitors
- I’m not paying attention as much as I used to (like when I won championships in years past), which is making my team less effective
- It’s not as fun as it used to be. The passion just isn’t there anymore (hence why I stopped writing)
- Lots of guys have quit recently. Only about six of the original twelve teams are still in the league, and I wonder if the league is close to disbanding anyway. My uncle would be very disappointed if I left the league and/or it disbanded entirely
I don’t need to decide until next year, but I’m interested in what you think. Is this a horrible use of my money? Leave a comment below!
Join the Thousandaire newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.