I want to remind everyone that December 31st is a big day for those of us with Flex Spending Accounts (FSA) or Health Savings Accounts (HSA).
For both FSAs and HSAs, you will no longer be able to buy over the counter medications with these accounts in 2011. That means you should go load up on Tylenol, Advil, Excedrin, Mucinex, Claritin, and anything else you might take over the counter (These will be covered in 2011 if you have a prescription from your doctor).
If you have an FSA, you have to spend everything before the end of the year or that money will vanish into thin air (thin air = the government’s pocket). That means you have two days to spend whatever is left.
If you have some extra money and don’t know how to spend it there is a full list of eligible expenses here. If you still don’t know where to spend your money, I have a few ideas.
- Adult Diapers – What brand should you buy? It depends…
- Ear Wax Removal Kits – For when you actually want to hear what she’s saying
- Latex Gloves – Have the kids make inflatable turkeys next Thanksgiving
- Hypnobirthing Classes – Pregnant or not, this sounds like fun!
- Laxatives – For when you need an excuse not to go to her mother’s house
- Ovulation Predictor Tests – When a woman is ovulating, she can have mood swings and/or increased libido. You think this is something you’d like to know?
- Head and Shoulders – Make your hair look like Troy Polamalu’s
- Toilet Seat Covers – My be necessary during execution of “not going to her mother’s house”
- Sperm Storage – Because the world really needs another “you” in about 200 years
- Sterilization/Vasectomy – Because the world really doesn’t need another “you” today
Surely I missed something. What else could people spend their FSA money on in the next two days?
P.S. If you have about seven minutes, check out my most popular youtube video (careful, it’s scary!) that shows my disdain for the new Over-The-Counter laws of 2011.