I drank (almost) nothing but water for the entire month of January!
I embarked upon an epic journey to spend a month drinking nothing but water. More than anything, I just wanted to see how incredible my body would feel by removing chocolate milk and soda from my dietary equation. I was also hoping for an awesome side effect like super strength or the ability to fly.
It turns out I didn’t get either of those abilities, but I did get four other superpowers from drinking only water!
- Shapeshifting – My shape changed noticeably in the last month. I didn’t weigh myself at the beginning of the month because weight loss wasn’t a goal, but I will say that I feel like I look a little better when I look in the mirror. I bet I lost at least 2-3 pounds.
- Supernatural Healing – Of all the benefits, this is my favorite. It’s been almost a year since I could run pain-free on the treadmill because of a bad knee. I only ran three times near the end of this month, but each time was pain free. I had no idea drinking water could help joint pain but I’m not the only one.
- X-Ray Vision – During the entire month of January, I had could see very clearly right through my urine. I was seeing straight through it as if there was no color at all.
- Budget Inflation – I could basically print money with this challenge. In 2010 my average monthly expense eating out was $182. This month it was $150. I ate out for 26 meals this month, and didn’t pay for a single drink on any of them. There’s my $32 right there.
- Jedi Mind Control – It used to be hard to resist soda; now I don’t even crave it. I was thinking today about having a soda with lunch, and I wouldn’t have wanted one even if I wasn’t doing the Challenge.
- Sore Throat – I thought drinking only water would make my throat feel great, but I probably had a scratchy throat more in the last month than I had in six months of 2010. Maybe the water had nothing to do with it and it’s just the colder weather, but I wasn’t “sick” all month. I just had a little sore throat more than a few times.
- Sour Milk – Without drinking any chocolate milk, there was no way I could get through a gallon of milk on cereal alone. I dumped at least half a gallon down the drain more than once this month.
I don’t want to give up my superpowers, but I also don’t want to give up tasty drinks forever either. I’ve decided on the following compromise: I will drink only water for six days a week, and drink anything I want on the seventh. During those six days, I get to cheat once (which will probably be used for a Jamba Juice).
This way I hopefully keep all the superpowers and get a little extra flavor in my life once or twice a week.
I really enjoyed this monthly challenge, so I’m going to try to do a different challenge every month. February is going to be the “Brighter Smile Challenge”. There are two things about my smile that I need to change, and what better way to make a change than challenge myself!?
I’ve bought Crest Whitestrips two or three times, but have never committed to doing all the strips on consecutive days. I will do a full treatment of Crest Whitestrips this month. To make it more challenging, I’ll also challenge myself to floss every day (which I do just about never as of today). Let’s see if I can have a movie-star smile come March! Hopefully I will save money by decreasing future dentist bills, and will retroactively save money by not wasting the whitestrips I’ve already paid for.
This post was featured in the Festival of Frugality.