This week’s Whatever Wednesday submissions were pretty light. I’m thinking it’s because of the holidays. Or maybe it’s because I didn’t beg this week like I usually do. Just remember, I’ll write about anything you want me to as long as you tell me what to do on twitter or facebook Tuesday nights.
Let’s get started with the first of two suggestions this week.
I have to believe that Jana’s question was prompted by this video:
I don’t always watch Saturday Night Live Weekend Update. But when I do, I prefer Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon.
Why? Amy Poehler is not even remotely believable as a news anchor and Seth Meyers just isn’t all that funny. Tina Fey has a special place in my heart for being ridiculously hilarious, and Jimmy Fallon has the perfect demeanor of “I think he could be serious… oh, nope, that was hilarious.”
With that being said, I grew up on Colin Quinn as my Weekend Updater and he’s still the best in my book.
I love goals. Here’s my favorite one:
I also like setting goals. I think it’s important to drive towards something. In fact, I think the setting of goals is much more important than reaching them.
For example, I made a goal a few months back to do one music video every month. After I made that goal, I put out my first full length music video in almost a year.
Have I lived up to the once per month objective? No. But have I done better? Absolutely. And doing better is thanks to setting that goal.
Here are a few of the goals I set in 2011 and how well I did against them:
- Contribute 6% to my 401k, max out my Roth IRA – Done
- Get $8k closer to The Hoff in net worth – $3k away with one month left
- Learn Spanish – Let’s just say I know a heck of a lot more Spanish now than I did before. I’m not fluent, but I’m working on it
- Don’t Suck at Golf – I broke 100 on 18 holes for the first time ever. I’m not a good golfer by any means, but I’m definitely not as terrible as I used to be
- Eat Better – I went from eating 0 veggies to eating some veggies. That’s better, right?
I didn’t meet all my goals, but I did alright. To be honest, I didn’t do a great job of setting goals at the beginning of the year though. That’s gonna change next year.
The new year is coming up and it’s time to start setting goals. I don’t like “New Year’s Resolutions” because no one ever does those. I prefer calling them goals.
I don’t have a complete list ready yet, but here’s what I have so far:
- Make $12k (or $1k a month) outside of my regular job – This could come from this website, other online ventures, babysitting or selling body parts. Anything that’s not my day job is fair game.
- Make 8-12 Music Videos – I want to do one a month. At the very least, I should be able to do 2 every 3 months. Cross your fingers for me.
- Contribute 6% to my 401k, max out my Roth IRA – Easy peasy.
- Be mostly FLUENT in Spanish – I better get to work on that Rosetta Stone…
- More to come…
Like I said, this is a work in progress. The question is, are your 2012 goals a work in progress? You only have 10 days until it’s time to start making progress towards them!