Before I get into the really bad news about my net worth, I want to get into some great news about an article I wrote a little over a week ago. Brian Banks, the guy who was falsely accused of rape by Wanetta Gibson and lost 10 years of his life now has tryouts with four different NFL teams, an NFL trainer volunteering to train him for free, and even many other job offers if the NFL doesn’t work out.
Please read that article. The way he is handling the whole situation is simply incredible. The world needs more people like him, and I will be following his story closely and rooting for him.
Now that the great news has been reported, let’s get into some really bad net worth news.
May Was a Crazy Month
I usually have a few things going on that make my months financially interesting. This month was on a whole new level. I can’t even remember everything that happened, but here are a few of the things that have affected me this month:
- Moved into a new apartment
- Bought a brand new living room set (which I’ll write more about this week)
- Bought a brand new bedroom set
- Sold a bunch of old furniture for $310
- Bought tons of new odds and ends for my new place
- Ate out a lot because I was going back and forth from the old and new apartment
- The stock market had a miserable month
As you can probably tell, this wasn’t a very good month for me.
The Hoff Kicked My Patootie
There it is folks. I am now $28,256 behind The Hoff.
For those of you who have been around this blog for about 18 months, you might remember the very first update I gave on this race. The Hoff was beating me by $28,193. Now he’s beating me by $28,256.
Four months ago I had closed the gap to within $16,770. At that point I thought I might even be able to catch up this year.
Now I’m gonna be lucky if I finish the year any better than I was 18 months ago.
One Month at a Time
Now that the move is behind me, I can hopefully start gaining some ground again. I have quite a few good things in my financial future. For example:
- I should get at least $1,200 of income from building a wordpress site for a company and some advertising here.
- There’s a chance I will pay off the last $7k of my student loans by the end of the month.
- The next vacation I have is over 3 months away and is already paid for.
- I don’t see any more large purchases (like a new living room or bedroom) in my immediate future
- The Hoff and I have a tentative launch date for our new site in July. It’s coming up!!!
If all goes well, I should be getting back to the months of 2011 where I was increasing my net worth by at least $1,000 every month. Wish me luck!
My Net Worth Tracking
As always, here are the net worth tracking graphs I use in my customized Net Worth Tracking Spreadsheet that is free to download. It’s fun to track this stuff, especially when the numbers are going up like mine have been!
I won’t be pulling even with The Hoff this year, but at least I can show a big fat ZERO in the student loan line (blue installment line in the debts graph) and hopefully get more income from my new site! Wish me luck!