A few days ago in Dallas a 14 year old boy who broke into a man’s home was shot and killed. A few months ago a 24 year old man was shot and killed by an 18 year old mother protecting herself and her baby.
These homeowners were prepared to protect themselves, their family, and their property.
I hate that both of these situations ended with the criminal dying, but you can’t reason with someone who is intent on breaking down your door. You have to be willing and capable of protecting yourself.
You and Your Property Must Be Protected
If you’re reading this blog, that means you are either good with money or you are doing your best to get better with money. That means that you either currently have some money saved up or you will one day in the future.
And when you have money and potentially nice things, certain people are going to want to take those things from you. You must protect yourself.
There are police officers that can help keep you and your property safe, but your security is your own responsibility first and foremost. Who knows what would have happened to the 51 year old man in Dallas or the 18 year old mother in Oklahoma if they hadn’t been prepared to protect themselves?
It’s very sad, but there are bad people in this world and they will do bad things if no one stops them.
Protecting Yourself is One of the Best Investments You’ll Ever Make
I hate reading about criminals dying when a homeowner shoots an intruder. More than that, I hate reading about someone who was a victim of a crime who didn’t have the means to protect him or herself.
How you choose to protect yourself is up to you. You can do one or more of the following:
- Have a gun and be proficient in using it.
- Have other weapons to be used for self defense
- Have an alarm system that makes noise when an intruder tries to break in
- Have your alarm system monitored by a security company
- Move to an area that has low crime rates
- Become active in your neighborhood watch program, or start one if one doesn’t exist
- Have a big, loud, scary, protective dog
- Hide valuables and keep some outside of your home (like a safe deposit box)
- Don’t flaunt your wealth publicly
- Take self defense or martial arts classes
- More things I haven’t thought of…
A lot of these things cost money, and there’s a good chance you’ll never find yourself in a situation where you are being attacked. But being prepared and never having to protect yourself is much better than being attacked with no way to defend yourself, your family, and your property.
You can go cheap on generic cereal. You can buy a used car instead of a new one, or even go without a car altogether. You can eliminate your cable bill. But don’t cut corners when it comes to your safety.
You’re worth it.
Readers: How do you protect yourself and how much does it cost you?